More than ever 8th March must be a day of activities for all our affiliates across the world to demand equality between women and men in our organisations, in our media and in our news content. It is our responsibility, as journalists and trade unionists, underlined the IFJ General Secretary in a call to all member-states journalists unions.
Among the different actions scheduled by the IFJ this month to mark International Women’s Day (8th March), one is a Global Day of Action on 8th March.
This year’s theme for the UN’s International Women’s Day is “Opens external link in new window Women in the Changing World of Work: Planet 50-50 by 2030” .
Join us on 8th March and ask for:
- Improving equal access to leading newsroom positions for women and men
- Closing of gender pay gap in journalism
- Strengthening equal treatment for all workers regardless of gender
- Developing and implementing gender equality policies in the newsrooms
- Using the hashtag #WomensDay #Planet5050
- share your support to women’s rights by Opens external link in new windowdownloading and printing the IFJ #WomensDay #Planet 5050 selfie cards and visuals and make sure you tag us for further dissemination @IFJGlobal
- Organise a #WomensDay event. Invite your speaker/s to explain how they took action to improve their career and get their rights recognised.
- Identify champions of equality in your media/country and write about them and their achievements
- Opens external link in new window .Share gender equality resources from the IFJ Opens external link in new window and other leading organisations that advocate for gender equality in the media
- Remember that the fight for women’s rights does not end on 8Th March: organise campaigns/discussions in your own unions throughout the year, set up gender councils, make the issue a priority for 2017!
Anthony Bellanger commented as well: Connect via social media and make your voice heard on International Women's Day. Use the hashtag #WomensDay #Planet5050.
Tell us about your activities on International Women’s Day on Opens external link in new windowTwitter.
Follow IFJ’s and its affiliates’ activities on Opens external link in new windowFacebook.